Tuesday, December 11, 2007

NAEA News, June 2007

Art education, two little words that make such a huge difference in the lives of students. I personally have discovered the power of art education after just completing my first year of teaching at Streamwood High School. It is amazing to think that just a few years ago I came up with the idea to go to college to train for the world of education. Now that dream has become a reality. When I think back to my college experience, the fondest memories stem from my time with knowledgeable professors and exuberant colleagues. I consider the friendships I made while attending the University of Illinois in Urbana-Champaign as part of an amazing support system that will follow me throughout my exciting career.

It is because of my experience in art education and my participation in the NAEA on the local and national level that I have come to believe that we are our best and most encouraging supporters. Now is the time to be making deep connections with your classmates and professors, for these are the people who will understand when you are complaining about a difficult student, who will help you brainstorm for an upcoming unit plan and who will lend an ear when you realize that your personal life has taken a backseat to inner school drama. These are the people that will be there for you when you need them most.

While a student, and even more so, as a practicing teacher, the most exciting and mind-blowing experience is the NAEA convention. This past convention in New York City was the first I attended as a teacher in the field. Coming from a high school program with four art teachers, it was overwhelming and at the same time relieving to finally be surrounded by people that exist on the same wavelength. I didn’t have the desire, nor felt the need to constantly defend my program. Everyone there was on my team!

As you work to grow your own individual programs within your universities and colleges and continue to participate in NAEA events, remember you are connected to a broader family. Not only are we training to become inspiring and influential teachers, but we are working to broaden our network of friends in the field. Together, we are part of creative force that touches the lives of children daily.

Sarah Cress
NAEA Student Chapter President 2007-2008

No comments: