Tuesday, December 11, 2007

NAEA News, August 2007

Scene One: It is the year 2004 and a young college student is attending her first NAEA convention in Denver, Colorado. Although completely overwhelmed by the people she has met and the information she has absorbed, the young lady is having the time of her professional life. After a day of session after session of lesson plan ideas, disciplinary issues and arts advocacy, the student attends the NAEA Student Chapter Business Meeting. Here she listens to the well spoken presidential team inform their audience of the current work of the student chapter. After some time, the current past-president introduces the students running for the national presidency. As the young lady listens to each impassioned speech she thinks to herself, “Could I be a future NAEA Student Chapter President?”

Scene Two: It is now 2006 in Chicago, Illinois. The young lady that attended her first NAEA convention just two years ago is now standing in a tiny room filled to the brim with interested and curious student members. People are sitting on the floor, plastered to the wall and peeking in from the entrance. Dressed in her best suit, the young lady describes what she will do to enhance communication within the association. As she finishes her speech she looks around the room and searches for her friends from the University of Illinois, Urbana-Champaign. As she says her last words, these friends jump up in supportive cheers.


When I think about how I became the NAEA Student Chapter President, it sometimes feels like I am an actress on the stage. What started as a curiosity listening to the speeches of those running in 2004, soon became a passion and now a wonderful reality. When I was elected to the NAEA Student Chapter Presidency in Chicago excitement and anticipation filled my whole body. I had so many wonderful ideas of how to grow the chapter and was incredibly eager to get started.

I served as President-Elect for a year, and am now in the middle of my Presidency. With the help of Bart Francis, Past-President, Heidi O’Hanley, President-Elect and Linda Willis Fisher, our amazing advisor, I consider this to be one of our most exciting years yet. As an overall organization we are embracing an era of change. This change has been spear-headed by our new Executive Director and the spirited excitement of our current board members. For the Student Chapter, change comes in the form of growing participation at the national and local levels, and a larger more persuasive voice throughout the NAEA organization. The student members of NAEA are the future of the organization and the presidential team is making that well known.

While it is easy to get caught up in the business of being the Student Chapter President, I often times try to sit back and think about what has made this such a wonderful experience. Not only have I had the opportunity to work with some of the most passionate and amazingly talented people in the field of education, but I have become a part of the history of NAEA. To think that I have made a difference for the world of art educators is uplifting and encouraging. When I think back to that young lady attending her first convention in 2004 I give thanks to those candidates speaking. They encouraged me to think about my own potential as a leader and motivator.

With the 2008 NAEA Convention just around the corner, it will become a new presidential era for one lucky individual. Becoming the NAEA Student Chapter President is an experience that will change your personal and professional life in so many ways. I have found my experience to be overwhelmingly satisfying. As you make plans to attend this year’s convention in New Orleans think to yourself, “Could I be a future NAEA Student Chapter President?”

Sarah Cress
NAEA Student Chapter President 2007-2008

No comments: